New Years Eve can feel magical, but it can be hard when you’re staying sober. Along with the ball dropping and the countdown to midnight comes the popping of champagne bottles and boozy shots. If this is your first sober New Years, it’s vital to have a plan that will help you stick to your goals. At Promises Five Palms, we’re here to support you in your goal of having a sober New Years. Check out these tips for celebrating while staying true to your sobriety goals.
Sober New Years Tips
If you’re planning on a sober New Year’s Eve, you may want to disregard the holiday altogether. While this is a viable option for some, you don’t have to give up celebrating just because you’re sober. There are plenty of ways to enjoy New Years without a bottle of champagne in your hand.
- Stay out of bars. Especially in the early stages of recovery, walking into a bar or club can set the stage for relapse. For many people, it’s best to remove yourself from places that serve alcohol.
- Hang with sober friends. Talk to your friends to see who else is planning on staying sober. Talk to them about your plans, and get their support.
- Plan a movie marathon. Gather up your friends, or snuggle up by yourself, and enjoy some favorite movies. Ringing in the new year in the relaxing comfort of your own home will save you money, stress, and will leave you feeling much more refreshed in the morning than a night at the bar.
- Indulge in something delicious. Just because you’re not chugging a drink when the ball drops doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy something awesome. Have some of your favorite chocolates on hand, or prepare a delicious meal to enjoy at midnight with friends.
Dealing With Peer Pressure Over Sober New Years?
If you have a friend who won’t stop pushing you to drink, don’t feel bad about using one of these excuses.
- I have family coming into town early tomorrow.
- I’m on medication that doesn’t allow me to drink.
- I can’t. I’m driving tonight.
- I’m getting over the stomach flu. I don’t think I can handle booze right now.
Treatment At Promises Five Palms
If you need help to stop drinking, you’re not alone. At Promises Five Palms, we’re here to help. When you choose to enter treatment with us, you’ll meet with your counselor to develop a treatment plan that makes sense for your needs. We’ll be with you every step of the way, from the first time you call us to the day you walk out of our doors. Many of our clients find that they succeed by using several different modalities of treatment to attack their substance abuse issues. We offer many kinds of therapy, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
Ready To Make The Change? We Can Help
If you’re ready to start the path to sobriety, you don’t have to do it alone. Whether this is your first sober New Years or your tenth, we’re here to help you get or stay on the road to recovery. When you call Promises Five Palms for treatment, you’ll talk with a member of our admissions team about your situation. Together, you’ll decide if what we offer at our treatment center is a good fit for your needs. There’s no pressure when you call – just more information to help you make an informed decision about your treatment. If you’re ready to change your life, Promises Five Palms is here to help. Pick up the phone and start the rest of your life today.