Schizophrenia is a serious mental health condition that can significantly interfere with how a person functions. It’s important to recognize the common warning signs of schizophrenia and address them as early as possible. Although it can be unsettling to witness the development of this condition in someone you love, a schizophrenia treatment program can help make symptoms manageable and allow the person to maintain a better quality of life.
If you have noticed signs of schizophrenia in yourself or a loved one, reach out to Promises Five Palms. We can conduct an intake assessment to provide you with a proper diagnosis. From there, we will create a customized treatment plan for you that includes the appropriate therapies, medication, and support. Call us today at 1.844.675.1022 if you have questions or concerns about common schizophrenia symptoms or to schedule an assessment.
What Are the Common Warning Signs of Schizophrenia?
Common schizophrenia symptoms fall into two categories: positive and negative. Positive symptoms are new thoughts or behaviors people will take on, and negative symptoms are behaviors they may stop doing. Due to the nature of schizophrenia, it may be more difficult to spot the signs in yourself. If you suspect you may be struggling with schizophrenia, ask a loved one you trust if they have noticed any of the following common schizophrenia symptoms.
Positive Signs of Schizophrenia
A person who has developed schizophrenia may start experiencing the following thoughts or behaviors:
- Delusions – They may believe they are being stalked or spied on by others. People with schizophrenia are vulnerable to conspiracy theories and believe others are out to get them.
- Disorganized speech – Since schizophrenia can interfere with thought processing, people may struggle to articulate their thoughts clearly. They may replace common words with others that do not fit or appear to be nonsensical.
- Hallucinations – They may hear or see things that are not there. Some people with schizophrenia hear voices in their heads telling them to do something out of character.
- Inability to concentrate – People with schizophrenia may show symptoms similar to attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), such as difficulty staying focused.
- Unusual movements – They may start engaging in repetitive or erratic movements or become catatonic, not moving or responding to others for a period of time.
These common schizophrenia symptoms tend to be the most disturbing for people on the outside who do not understand schizophrenia. They are also the most likely to disrupt a person’s life. A schizophrenia treatment program can help get these symptoms under control.
Negative Signs of Schizophrenia
Negative symptoms of schizophrenia are related to behaviors that may decrease. Some of the common negative symptoms of schizophrenia are:
- Lack of expression – The person may come across as unemotional or uncaring since they don’t display the usual signs of empathy or understanding. They may also speak with a monotone voice and appear apathetic. This is also known as flattening.
- Lack of communication – Some people with schizophrenia have difficulty maintaining intimate relationships or friendships because they may stop communicating with others. Conversations with them might feel one-sided since the person may not speak much or respond to questions.
- Lack of pleasure – A person with schizophrenia may seem disinterested in most things even if they used to enjoy them. This condition is often misdiagnosed as depression due to this disengagement and apathy.
- Lack of organization – Schizophrenia can make it challenging for people to follow through on everyday responsibilities. They may have trouble staying motivated and organized, which can interfere with their success at work or school.
These negative symptoms of schizophrenia are similar to signs of depression and can affect a person much in the same way. A schizophrenia treatment program will provide the proper medication and therapy to minimize symptoms and help you feel more balanced.
Find Quality Schizophrenia Treatment at Promises Five Palms
At Promises Five Palms, we understand how schizophrenia can make life difficult for people and their loved ones. Our schizophrenia treatment program is carefully designed to keep positive and negative symptoms to a minimum while helping you feel more mentally and emotionally balanced. Call us today at 1.844.675.1022 to schedule an assessment so we can help you get the right treatment.